Strip by Strip Patchwork Quilts Book with DVD
Stunning, yet simple to sew. Be prepared to collect compliments when you decorate your home with dramatic quilts and distinctive table runners constructed with easy strip-piecing techniques.
Nancy Zieman and guest Donna Fenske demonstrate how to use a variety of fabric strips to effortlessly achieve quilt designs with great visual interest.
- Learn how to confidently explore the use of color and design while using fabric strips to construct quilt blocks.
- Discover how fabric and dimension changes within a pattern can produce a quilt with an entirely new look
- Includes six projects
- Book features double-wire binding so pages lay flat when open—no more struggling to keep your page from turning or bending; plus it's now easier to keep your book right next to you as you work
- Printed on no glare uncoated paper making it easier to read the instructions and see the illustrations
- Softcover; 30 page book features full color photographs and illustrations and step by step instructions
- DVD has 50 minute run time; with closed captioning for the hearing impaired
- By Nancy Zieman and Donna Fenske, Sewing with Nancy
- Horizons (a long-strata strip-tube column quilt - white with variegated fabric)
- Diamond Spectrum (a vertical-strata with solid strip-tube half-square triangle quilt - blue with bright batiks)
- Sunset Streams (a strip-tube half-square triangle column quilt - blue columns with plum, green and tan batiks)
- Jeweled Illusion (a table runner constructed of alternating strata half-square triangles - variegated and black with mitered binding corners)
- Tumbling Leaves (a table runner constructed of off-set strata half-square triangles featuring a flange detail intersecting the blocks, contrast setting triangles and a flange border complete the look - gold, orange, brown blocks with ivory insets)
- Fractured Sunlight (a long-strata strip-tube column quilt - blue, green and brown)
The companion DVD highlights:
- Consider color options as you select and arrange fabric strips
- Discover how variegated fabrics effortlessly provide additional color variations
- Learn how to stitch strata to achieve quick results
- Construct different versions of strip-tube strata to obtain different half-square triangle looks
- Observe three different methods of cutting tubes into Half-square Triangles:
- Half-square Triangle ruler
- Totally Tubular Template
- Quilting Ruler
- Nancy's Corner Tammy Rousell, founder of Mitsy Kit
- Mitsy Kit (named for Tammy's mother, Mitsy) help people with low vision/loss of eyesight to stitch. A tactile edge along the seam allowances helps sewing enthusiasts know how to stitch the material together. The kits are being used in a variety of settings to help people with vision loss and also memory loss tap into their creativity.
- Part 2:
- Use of variegated fabric with solids to achieve a dimensional look
- Stitching off-set strata to efficiently use fabric
- Chain stitching blocks for fast and efficient construction
- Create mitered corner borders for table runner
- Incorporate flange as design detail in blocks and border.
- Use of setting triangles.
- Nancy's Corner features Betty Willems, Judy Jourdan of the Dreams Alive Beading Group
- The Dreams Alive Beading Group preserves and shares the powerful cultural and historic meaning of the beautiful art form of raised beadwork done by the Oneida nation.